Refurbishing my Challenger 1P

Introduce yourself and reminisce
blkrckz28

Refurbishing my Challenger 1P

Post by blkrckz28 »

Hello to everyone.
I pulled out my old C1P I purchased back in '79 and will be refurbishing its superboard II.
Its in pretty good shape, but had a ton of mods done to it, which I can't find the documentation for anymore.
Primarily the video mod, which was done back in '79 and no documentation was provided post mod.
I reversed engineered the changes and it doesn't follow any of the mods posted to this forum.
So, I am probably going to un-do the mods, and perform the 'guard-band' mod to get the video back in shape.

I will also be replacing all the socketed devices with high quality gold plated sockets, which I seem to have tons laying around. Can't remember where I got these, but must have had them for 20 years or more...

The keyboard contacts are in poor shape.
Rather than cleaning the contacts with DeoxIT-D5, I just bought 140 new replacement switches from https://www.electronicsurplus.com/ for $20 + shipping. I'll have plenty of spares to last a few more decades.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all the Fellow OSI owners....

Andy
dave
Site Admin

Re: Refurbishing my Challenger 1P

Post by dave »

Welcome Andy! Sounds like a great project. Please keep us posted.

Dave
BillO

Re: Refurbishing my Challenger 1P

Post by BillO »

Hi Andy!

The guard band mod is something I may be interested in ... some day. :)

Let us know how it goes.
Box stock Superboard II Rev. B
KLyball replica 600D, replica 610 & KLyball Data Separator
OMS SBME and SBME+ memory cards
OMS Digi-Mule expansion bus
KLyball memory card