Superboard mods

drwass2

Re: Superboard mods

Post by drwass2 »

well I found my box with the OSI stuff in it... broke out the board, found a 5 v supply and hooked it up.
Didn't have my old monochrome monitor but I plugged the RCA video jack into the old analog Video input of a modern LCD monitor and by surprise to me it came up. All 24 characters. Very sharp with square dots.

My video mod for 64 characters also came up running as nice as ever, which was a bit of a surprise consider the wires etc,
Also, it has a gated astable vibrator circuit to generate the new "dot clock", which is somewhat voltage dependent but it came up running without any adjustments needed. It has a pot to set it up right.

My next problem is the get the software needed to intercept the output to the video screen and put it into memory correctly so that the 64 character out comes out right. The mod works by interlacing the RAM from two consecutive video lines into one line and blanking the 2nd line when it gets to it. Really sweet. Output looks amazing. I will try to put together a post explaining how it works.

I made several mods to my superboard II so I'm trying to find out which are just for video.

will be back....glad to find that the old board works as always.....Sticky keys.....but banging them a bunch seems to clear it up.
Evan
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Bill, I just purchased a C1P with the 32 and 64 column video mod from Progressive Computing. It came with all the documentation as well. If you are interested, I could post some pics and scan the docs/instructions. The mod works very well and includes 3 modified Roms that provide a new cursor and true onscreen back spacing etc.
/Jeff
drwass2

Post by drwass2 »

Please do post
I'd love to se how others have don it
:roll:
BillO

Post by BillO »

Yes, please post or send over to Dave (board admin) for archiving. We need to keep this stuff going and available as much as possible.
Box stock Superboard II Rev. B
KLyball replica 600D, replica 610 & KLyball Data Separator
OMS SBME and SBME+ memory cards
OMS Digi-Mule expansion bus
KLyball memory card
Scott Larson

Post by Scott Larson »

I think I got mine from Progressive Computing since reading the name made my heart skip a beat. That was the first major hardware project I had ever done. I was ten years old and it was on the edge of my skills. After making many mistakes which forced me to understand how it worked, I had learned a lot about analog video which is now almost irrelevant these days.
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

@Jeff: It would be awesome if you scan the documentation and post some photos of the board.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

@Dave: Here are the scans of the Progressive Computing C1P Video mods. Feel free to host them.

http://www.jeffferguson.ca/OSI/Progress ... 20Mods.PDF
http://www.jeffferguson.ca/OSI/Progress ... d%2032.PDF
http://www.jeffferguson.ca/OSI/Progress ... %20600.PDF
http://www.jeffferguson.ca/OSI/Progress ... stions.PDF

The next time I open my C1P, I will take photos of the mods as well as the screen output and post them in this thread. Also, I will pop out the modified ROMS and read them and post them as well.

Enjoy!
/Jeff
BillO

Post by BillO »

Wow, that's lot of modification! :shock:
Box stock Superboard II Rev. B
KLyball replica 600D, replica 610 & KLyball Data Separator
OMS SBME and SBME+ memory cards
OMS Digi-Mule expansion bus
KLyball memory card
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Pictures as promised.

Bottom Mods 1

Bottom Mods 2

Top Mods 1

Continued...
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

.....continued from last post

Top Mods 2

Top Mods 3

Aardvark Video Board Top

Continued....
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.