C1P/Superboard II RS-232 program load

Frank

C1P/Superboard II RS-232 program load

Post by Frank »

I try to load programs over the RS-232 in the Superboard II from PC at 1200 Baud over Hyperterminal.
It works good, when i instruct the Hyperterminal on PC to wait after every cariage return 100ms.
That is why the scrolling one more line in the OSI display needs some time, when you send in this time some characters lost.
The problem is when a long basic-line is send. The OSI breaks the line in a new one and now some characters lost.
I find out that there is no possiblity to make a handshake between OSI and PC, because the RTS-Line of the 6850 does not interrupt the transmission.
What are yours experiences with that?

Regards, Frank
dave
Site Admin

Re: C1P/Superboard II RS-232 program load

Post by dave »

Hi Frank,

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I thought I'd take a stab, just in case.

It would be nice if the ACIA had automatic hardware handshaking, but (I believe) it requires the CPU to set and reset the RTS line. It would be nice if the ACIA had a mode that would handle the receive handshaking without CPU intervention.

Try typing "CTRL-O" (The control key and letter O) before loading the program; to my recollection, this should suppress printing on the OSI end. You may also be able to send the code from the PC end. After the transmission, another CTRL-O should restore printing/echo.

The next obvious option is to reduce the transmit speed to 600 or, if needed, 300 just for certain downloads.

If you have an emulator, you can load the program in the emulator, then get into the monitor, and do a RAM dump in OS65V format (either in ML or BASIC) starting at $0300 (the start of the BASIC program code, assuming ROM BASIC) and ending at the end of your program (3 $00's in a row). Then cold start your BASIC on the real machine, then enter the monitor, hit "L", and load the program into the BASIC work area, then warm start BASIC.

There is a BASIC command, NULL, which inserts a specified number of NULL characters after each line, which will accomplish the same as your hyperterminal delay, but won't solve the problem of the C1P wrapping and scrolling.

Please let us know how it turned out.

Best regards,

Dave