Another Disk Operating System for OSI Superboard II / C1P

Thomas

Another Disk Operating System for OSI Superboard II / C1P

Post by Thomas »

Recently I converted my old Superboard II disk operating subsystem to standard RAM locations. It runs under SYM600 or CEGMON and does not require a special ROM version any more.

The disk operating system works closely together with BASIC in ROM and supports 5.25" or 3.5-inch floppy drives single and double sided. In the past, I was using a self-made Elektor floppy disk controller card and a double sided YE-625 (Y-E Data Inc.) disk drive. With a data separator board on a 610 disk controller, it is working as well.

This YE-DOS called software will link into the BASIC interpreter and provides a conveniently way to work in BASIC program code or directly from the input line. Twenty two new BASIC commands are included as described in the attached YE-OSI DOS X3.54.pdf document.
YE-OSI DOS X3.54.pdf
(433.84 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
At boot, start with "D" and Cold start. For example, DIR will show files on the current disk and SEL 0 or SEL 2 will change drives.
If you want to test it and you have already a GOTEK drive connected to your machine, YE-DOS TEST IMAGES.zip includes two HFE disk images, one for the Boot drive and a Demo disk. Both files are 35 track images, up to double sided 80 track drives are possible. If you don't have a GOTEK drive, you can use the attached IMG files on your preferred Emulator.
Set RAM memory to min 32k. Using it with a CEGMON ROM is my preference due to the Backspace capability.
YE-DOS TEST IMAGES.zip
(127 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Some utilities can be found on the boot disk, like a disk Format or Chkdsk Basic program. These illustrate how to make use of the new Basic commands. If you insert a new disk into the system, YE-DOS will not automatically detect a newly inserted disk. Type DISK4 and the software will update the presents of a new disks.
In case of a simple disk change, type SEL0 or SEL2 to refresh the FAT directory. The command SEL 2 and DLOD"PINBAL" will load and execute the given program on the second drive.
YE_DOS.gif
YE_DOS.gif (118.19 KiB) Viewed 326 times
If your OSI is equipped with a semi-graphic character ROM for the upper half of the screen, BASIC commands like SCR, CLG and GDIS will provide line and text graphics. See GRDEMO.BAS example on the second disk.

Enjoy
Thomas