Hi

Introduce yourself and reminisce
DaveEdson

Hi

Post by DaveEdson »

Hi all,

Dave Edson here. I wrote a bunch of games for Aardvark for the C1P/SuperBoard II back in the days.
Stuff like Space Invasion, Kamikaze, Collide, Thief, Monster Maze. Wrote a game or two for Pretzelland as well.

I found plenty of emulators for the C1P, but no images of any of my games. If anyone has them, I am granting full permission to post them for all to consume.

Hope some of you played those games and had fun. I am assuming that this forum will automagically send me email when people reply. If not, I may be quite glacial to reply, because my life is full of craziness.

Glad to see this forum is here!
Dave
Jeff

Re: Hi

Post by Jeff »

Welcome, Dave!

Glad to see you here!

/Jeff
BillO

Post by BillO »

Welcome Dave.

I had space invaders some 37+ years ago :D !
Box stock Superboard II Rev. B
KLyball replica 600D, replica 610 & KLyball Data Separator
OMS SBME and SBME+ memory cards
OMS Digi-Mule expansion bus
KLyball memory card
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Hi Jeff. I have the Monster Maze program, I put it on a self-booting disk, I will post the image.

I liked the way you made the Pacman-like maze using the OSI graphic characters, if I didn't know better I would really think it was drawn on a fully graphical screen. One odd thing about it, or at least my copy - the buttons for moving up and down are reversed. The "A" moves down, and the "Z" (below it) moves up. Is that the way you wrote it? I'm thinking maybe this was a copy that I modified to do that for some strange reason, but I don't remember for sure.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

How do you post software on this forum?

The extensions .img and .65d are apparently not allowed.
DaveEdson

Post by DaveEdson »

A and Z were not reversed for me. I wonder if the emulator is the issue, or does this happen on all emulators?
I think I did the poke/peek approach versus just a peek for MM. Too bad I don't have the source anymore :) Can we re-map the keys in the emulator to compensate?

Thanks for the compliments!
Dave
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Dave:

Good to see I got a reply back. No, I'm sure the emulator is not reversing the keys. I think what actually happened is that I had been disassembling the game (back on my real C1P MF, years ago) and, to prove I had understood what was happening, I swapped the detection of the two keys and resaved the game that way... and it was that modified copy that I found in a drawer years later and sent off to Mark Spankus (along with a number of other OSI diskettes) for him to convert into files that I could use with his emulator. And that is the copy I have now.

Now that I have your confirmation that it wasn't always that way, I will take another look at the code and see if I can't undo that modification I made back then (which was supposed to be temporary).
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Dave,

It's me again. I successfully switched the keys back to normal on my copy of the C1P Monster Maze game - I had swapped the bytes at $13EC and $13F8, which should be $BE and $DE, respectively.

BTW, the C2/C4 version of the game is included with the WinOSI emulator, so it isn't true that there were "no images of any of [your] games" to be found. Or did you mean "images" in the sense of screen shots? I also noticed that the '4P version (I think that's a better term than "C2/C4") uses different key controls, which confused be when comparing the keyboard sense code in the two versions - it uses Q and A for up and down, and Z and spacebar for left and right. Which meant that the "A" key was "down" just like on my copy of the C1 version that had had "A" for down and "Z" for up, instead of vice versa. The keys used in the C1 version (A and Z for up and down, slash and right shift for left and right) are definitely more convenient.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
DaveEdson

Post by DaveEdson »

Since I was only 14 years old when I wrote monster maze, I really don't remember making a C2/C4 version. If I recall, C2/C4 had a different number of bytes per line? (32 vs 64) I have foggy memories of doing some port or something, but it is possible I sent Rodger or Retelle the source and they ported it. I just can't remember. So you are telling me that I can just go find the C2 emulator, and Monster Maze is "just there" and I can go check it out? I never bothered to look at anything except the C1/Superboard II stuff, since that's all I wrote for.
DaveEdson

Post by DaveEdson »

So I must be looking at the wrong WinOSI emulator, it does not have Monster maze in any of the images. If you know which one, please direct me to the link. Thanks! Also, if you know of any of my other games....