A UK101 story

Introduce yourself and reminisce
multivac

A UK101 story

Post by multivac »

Hello

In the late Seventies an electronics enthusiast wanted his own computer ...

I used to take Practical Electronics magazine and they mentioned that they would be running a series on building your own computer -the UK101.

The supplier was CompShop and their shop in Barnet was just a couple of miles away. I used to walk there just to peer at the prototype on the sales counter.

Anyway, that young man saved up and bought one. Somehow it worked first time and it soon acquired a case. Other add-ons and upgrades followed, however it was put away to be replaced by a shiny new computer that was all the rage. The UK101 was sealed in a box and soon, nearly forty years later, I hope to do a pre-test and bring it back up.

As my first question, where in the UK can I get a new 40 pin DIP header plug or two. I need to make up a new expansion cable.
Last edited by multivac on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave
Site Admin

Re: A UK101 story

Post by dave »

Welcome--great to hear from you! Here in the US, I've had the best luck finding those 40-pin dip connectors at the local surplus store, and on Ebay. Keep us posted :-)
multivac

Post by multivac »

When did 3M discontinue all the DIP plugs?

I have yet to find an electronic surplus store in the UK.
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

Welcome,

Try Cricklewood Electronics London, Farnell or Radio Spares. Sorry to see Maplin go the same way as Dick Smith did down under.
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator
multivac

Post by multivac »

Hello MK14HAK

Yes I agree it sad to see firms from the early days of microcomputing closing; Dick Smith was there from the start.

I'll press on looking through the online listing of the three firms you mentioned, maybe DIP plugs are called something else now.

Are you an ex-CompShop person?