Software on 8" disks

lowrybt1

Software on 8" disks

Post by lowrybt1 »

I've finished connecting a refurbished 8" Mitsubishi drive and GoTek to a C8P with a D-13. With all the components working, I started going through my collection of 8" disks and found the following:

OSI Graphics Disk I (65D)
OSI Customer Demo Disk (65D)
OSI Dealer Demo (65D)
OSI CP/M
S-FORTH/S-FORTH Utilities
OSI Education Disk 8 (65D)
OSI Modem Disk (65D)
OSI Personal Disk 2 (65D)
OSI Votrax Demo

The following OSI HFE images are contained in the zip file: OSI Votrax Demo, OSI Personal Disk 2, OSI Education Disk 8, OSI Modem, OSI Graphics Disk 1
Images.zip
HFE images of multiple 8" disks
(473.16 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Last edited by lowrybt1 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C8PDF w. 48K, 2x 520 24K RAM boards and Glitchworks 64K board
OSI 567 Telephony board
Spare 8" drives
Klyball D-13
Mark

Re: Software on 8" disks

Post by Mark »

Nice!

My first request would be for CP/M as it has been the subject of a recent project, but all would be useful to validate or repair disk images from other sources.

Please send what you can when you can.

Thanks!
-Mark
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

That's wonderful! Glad to host all of it.

Dave
lowrybt1

Post by lowrybt1 »

Mark,

My attempts to copy the OSI CP/M to an HFE image have not succeeded. I think the issue is that I'm using the copier program in 65DV3.3 and it simply can't interpret the format on the CP/M disk. If you PM your address, I'm happy to send the disk to you. I suspect you have more sophisticated ways of imaging/copying disks. Tom
C8PDF w. 48K, 2x 520 24K RAM boards and Glitchworks 64K board
OSI 567 Telephony board
Spare 8" drives
Klyball D-13
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Tom, Thanks for trying.
So the only OSI CP/M version I've looked at is V1.4.
It used a standard 8" OS65D disk format, with a normal boot track format, and one 13 page long sector per track with OS65D track and sector headers. Track 0 was the boot code and 6502 disk I/O "bios". Tracks 1 & 2 were the CP/M Z80 OS code, with the directory and start of CP/M disk on track 3. CP/M itself required a 48K OSI with additional 4K RAM at $D000 and $E000 for a total of 56K to run! (Along with a Z80 CPU on a OSI510 & serial terminal).
BillDrom was able to copy that version... Perhaps your CP/M is a later version that is no longer OS65D format compatible?

If you have the ability to do a raw OSI Disk Dump via serial port of at least the 1st 5 tracks it could help determine what is going on with the disk format. (A full disk dump would be great! Conversion back to HFE should be possible.)

Note: With OSI Disk Dump you can use Xmodem/CRC transfer to halve the amount of data sent (binary vs ASCII HEX), and setting the serial divisor to 16x (F)aster will set your 300 baud serial port to 4800 baud. It still takes a while to send a 288K disk though.
I've used TeraTerm to transfer data via Xmodem/CRC

It may be time to create a stand-alone OSI Disk Copy program using code from David Gesswein's excellent OSI floppy test program, which could be made to copy any known disk format.

Ah, the projects never end....
billdrom

Post by billdrom »

Some CPM disks for OSI were in standard IBM format.
Maybe yours is one of them and that is the reason you can't seem to copy it.
Let us know what version of CPM it is as well as any other info on the disk label.

I deleted my previous post.
I felt it was off topic.
Although I was only trying to show that IBM format disks for OSI systems do exist.
I'll post it in a new thread.
Thank you for posting your HFE files.
They all seemed to work on my C3 system.

Bill