600D ROM support for both 24- and 48-character modes

Steve Gray

Re: 600D ROM support for both 24- and 48-character modes

Post by Steve Gray »

Well, the clock is about 4MHz, so you need 250ns or faster EPROM. There are 70ns EPROMS in DIP so you' will probably be ok. Luckily the 600 is pretty low resolution. Video timing is always tricky. It's worth trying though.

Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Steve Grey, ronin17,

I guess i was thinking more as a programmer and not as an engineer (which I'm not), neglecting the fact that EPROMs don't respond instantly. So I no longer think that the design I had in mind would work as is. The dot clock in 48-character mode is 8 MHz (the 4 MHz crystal frequency gets doubled), but even if the EPROM responded within the necessary 125 ns, there would still be time during which its outputs had not stabilized, which would produce odd color effects on the screen. I guess the output at the end of each cycle could be latched until the next cycle though. That could be done by adding another 74LS174 hex D flip-flop after the EPROM, right? There are 150 ns 27C16 chips available at https://www.hinkel-elektronik.com/cgi-b ... t&nr=74682, and there is probably some margin of error in the timing spec, so they may give a stable output after 125 ns. There are also 120 ns 27C256 chips available from Hinkel, but at a considerably higher price.

I worked last night at creating a schematic of sorts for what I had in mind, using ASCII characters, and this is what I came up with:

Code: Select all

U77 pin 14 or J75 pin 1       (CD0)     ->          ------
_____________________________________________ pin 8|A0  D0|pin 9       (R)       ->     DE-9F pin 3
                                                   |      |________________________________________
                                                   |      |
U77 pin 13 or J75 pin 16      (CD1)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 7|A1  D1|pin 10      (G)       ->     DE-9F pin 4
                                                   |      |
U77 pin 12 or J75 pin 2       (CD2)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 6|A2  D2|pin 11      (B)       ->     DE-9F pin 5
                                                   | 2716 |
U77 pin 11 or J75 pin 15      (CD3)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 5|A3  D3|pin 13      (I)       ->     DE-9F pin 6
                                                   |      |
U42 pin 9 or J75 pin 10       (VID)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 4|A4    |pin 18->GND          GND  >- DE-9F pin 1
                                                   |      |                     ___________________
                                                   |      |pin 20->GND
U72 pin 5 or J75 pin 13     (COLOR EN)  ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 3|A5    |pin 21->+5V          GND  >- DE-9F pin 2
                                                    ------ 

U65 pin 5                     (HS)                    ->          (HSYNC)               DE-9F pin 8
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

U65 pin 13                    (VS)                    ->          (VSYNC)               DE-9F pin 9
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
But as I said, I no longer think that this would really work.

The ROM contents would simply have been 32 repetitions of the following:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F
00 0E 00 0C 00 0A 00 06 00 09 00 0D 00 0B 00 0F
0E 00 0C 00 0A 00 06 00 09 00 0D 00 0B 00 0F 00
ronin, good luck with the cassette sound output. I'm not going to deal with that today. Others may be more likely to figure it out. If no one does in the next day or two, I'll take another look.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
Steve Gray

Post by Steve Gray »

Yes, you could latch the output. The 630 board does that, as does my board. Also be aware that colour monitors have different sync than monochrome. I can never remember but one (I think v-sync) needs to be inverted. So you could add an inverter, or you could have fed the sync line(s) into the eprom. You could still have issues with sync timing etc. You can get 70 ns PLCC EEPROMS (Winbond W27C0x0) which might work. I don't know.

The other option is just to copy the video section of the 630 board ;-) As you add chips to your own design you might find the 630 implementation is not that bad.

I actually had a similar idea for the C128 to change the RGBI output to various different 8-bit colour palettes (using a resistor DAC). I also thought about an EPROM at the time. Then I thought I'd use a DUAL PORT SRAM that was mapped into the CPU space so you could change the palette on the fly. Then I looked into different video RAMDAC chips.... So many ideas ;-) Of course, I never tried it, but it would have been a fun project.

One of the things I liked about the OSI machines was all the different user-designed video mods there were, and how easy it was to hack things onto them. I think adding guard-bands and having 32/64 columns would be a good mod to try on a colour 600D!

Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

bxdanny wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm Steve Grey, ronin17,

I guess i was thinking more as a programmer and not as an engineer (which I'm not), neglecting the fact that EPROMs don't respond instantly. So I no longer think that the design I had in mind would work as is. The dot clock in 48-character mode is 8 MHz (the 4 MHz crystal frequency gets doubled), but even if the EPROM responded within the necessary 125 ns, there would still be time during which its outputs had not stabilized, which would produce odd color effects on the screen. I guess the output at the end of each cycle could be latched until the next cycle though. That could be done by adding another 74LS174 hex D flip-flop after the EPROM, right? There are 150 ns 27C16 chips available at https://www.hinkel-elektronik.com/cgi-b ... t&nr=74682, and there is probably some margin of error in the timing spec, so they may give a stable output after 125 ns. There are also 120 ns 27C256 chips available from Hinkel, but at a considerably higher price.

I worked last night at creating a schematic of sorts for what I had in mind, using ASCII characters, and this is what I came up with:

U77 pin 14 or J75 pin 1       (CD0)     ->          ------
_____________________________________________ pin 8|A0  D0|pin 9       (R)       ->     DE-9F pin 3
                                                   |      |
U77 pin 13 or J75 pin 16      (CD1)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 7|A1  D1|pin 10      (G)       ->     DE-9F pin 4
                                                   |      |
U77 pin 12 or J75 pin 2       (CD2)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 6|A2  D2|pin 11      (B)       ->     DE-9F pin 5
                                                   | 2716 |
U77 pin 11 or J75 pin 15      (CD3)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 5|A3  D3|pin 13      (I)       ->     DE-9F pin 6
                                                   |      |
U42 pin 9 or J75 pin 10       (VID)     ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 4|A4    |pin 18->GND          GND  >- DE-9F pin 1
                                                   |      |pin 20->GND
U72 pin 5 or J75 pin 13     (COLOR EN)  ->         |      |
_____________________________________________ pin 3|A5    |pin 21->+5V          GND  >- DE-9F pin 2
                                                    ------ 

U65 pin 5                     (HS)                    ->          (HSYNC)               DE-9F pin 8

U65 pin 13                    (VS)                    ->          (VSYNC)               DE-9F pin 9
But as I said, I no longer think that this would really work.

The ROM contents would simply have been 32 repetitions of the following:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F 0F
00 0E 00 0C 00 0A 00 06 00 09 00 0D 00 0B 00 0F
0E 00 0C 00 0A 00 06 00 09 00 0D 00 0B 00 0F 00
ronin, good luck with the cassette sound output. I'm not going to deal with that today. Others may be more likely to figure it out. If no one does in the next day or two, I'll take another look.
Thanks @bxdanny, this is very interesting stuff, I'll have a dig through my EPROM collection, I have 27C16's up to 27C512's, and I'm now wondering what speeds they might be.

I'm neither an engineer nor a programmer, though I can build and repair stuff, so I'm always interested in building new things :)

As for the cassette, that's an odd one, I can't quite figure out the reasons why it won't work, it seems to get all the necessary clocks plus the data from the 6850, but that CLR signal has me wondering...