Improving signal strength on Superboard II

Sideburn

Re: Improving signal strength on Superboard II

Post by Sideburn »

bxdanny wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:16 pm
That does look good, the monitor seems to be the same width as the keyboard. But the last (48th) character seems to have its right edge cut off, and as there is more than one character width of blank margin on the left, you might want to decrease the value at $FFE0 by one [more].
I've noted this and will get to it soon and i went back and looked at my photo of the display and see what you are talking about. Maybe I will be able to get to it today. I've pulled the LCD panel and logic board out of the TV enclosure sand will be removing parts of it next (power jack, RCA connectors etc.. anything that adds extra thickness.).

I've made some headway tonight with the 3d enclosure and did some tests on the printer printing large scale objects and preventing warping. It's coming along!

snap1.jpg
snap1.jpg (686.77 KiB) Viewed 196 times
PNG image.png
PNG image.png (2.99 MiB) Viewed 196 times
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Sideburn,

That is impressive. I hope you don't damage the monitor. I figured you would just put the whole thing (case and all, less any stand) inside your outer case, or attach it somehow with a hinge.
Yes love when that happens.. happy accidents and "meant to be" situations...
My father once wrote a rather lengthy article (an autobiographical sketch, actually) that he titled "When Bad News is Good News". I though it might even be the first thing that came up if you Googled that phrase (in quotes). It's not, someone else wrote a book with that title. But if you add our last name (Schwartz) to the search, or the word "translator", it is. As I said, it's kind of long, and i certainly don't expect you, or anyone here, to read it all, but i thought I'd mention it. Today marks two and a half years since he passed away.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

bxdanny wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:53 am Sideburn,

That is impressive. I hope you don't damage the monitor. I figured you would just put the whole thing (case and all, less any stand) inside your outer case, or attach it somehow with a hinge.
Yes love when that happens.. happy accidents and "meant to be" situations...
My father once wrote a rather lengthy article (an autobiographical sketch, actually) that he titled "When Bad News is Good News". I though it might even be the first thing that came up if you Googled that phrase (in quotes). It's not, someone else wrote a book with that title. But if you add our last name (Schwartz) to the search, or the word "translator", it is. As I said, it's kind of long, and i certainly don't expect you, or anyone here, to read it all, but i thought I'd mention it. Today marks two and a half years since he passed away.
I’m being careful. I plugged it in and confirmed it’s good. I’ll be tapping power and video direct into the board.

I’ll looks up the article. Yeah getting old sucks. My dad’s 83 and I’m getting worried about how I’m going to handle losing them. I mean losing my DOG was rough for me. I don’t handle loss / heartbreak well.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

My cheap display from Ali Express arrived today, £34 and a little change, so about $43 delivered.

IMG20240407164852.jpg
IMG20240407164852.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 185 times

I had to adjust the value at $7E0 to 63, but once done it fitted the display perfectly.

It's a 10" display.

I can certainly relate to getting old and losing people. We lost my Mum & Dad (89 & 91 respectively) in 2022 within 2 months of each other, then last year my mother in law (87), then 2 weeks ago our dog, who we'd had for 16 years from a puppy.

I've had enough of death, I'm 59 this year and it just keeps raising its ugly head, and super hard to deal with.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

Yep. I’m 54 and it’s all starting. Lost my best friend. Dog was 19…. Well we better stop talking about that one or we might get cursed by the grim reaper.

Wow it syncs and locks on no problem!?

What the heck is wrong with my board :?: it only likes Oldies I guess…
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:26 pm Yep. I’m 54 and it’s all starting. Lost my best friend. Dog was 19…. Well we better stop talking about that one or we might get cursed by the grim reaper.

Wow it syncs and locks on no problem!?

What the heck is wrong with my board :?: it only likes Oldies I guess…
Indeed, the grim reaper can do one...

I did have to tweak R58 a smidge and adjust brightness and contrast, but once that was done and I adjusted the left column setting it locked on nicely.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

so before your tweaks was it falling in and out of sync?
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:11 pm so before your tweaks was it falling in and out of sync?
No, it was synced, but the display was grey and not black and a little flickery, but I had an image on screen and the display said it was an NTSC signal. Adjusting R58 will kick it out of sync if you go too far, but that's normal.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

Ahh. Ok. Ya mine just refuses to sync to them. I think that 10” would have been ideal for the portable but I think I can make this one work.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:51 pm Ahh. Ok. Ya mine just refuses to sync to them. I think that 10” would have been ideal for the portable but I think I can make this one work.
Ahh, ok, odd, mine only did that when the HSYNC was way off due to an issues somewhere. Once fixed I was getting 15.63Khz and about 60Hz, are you getting the same?