New member - Old C1P user

Introduce yourself and reminisce
HOWARDHB

New member - Old C1P user

Post by HOWARDHB »

Greetings from South Africa.

It all began in 1981, (I was 15 years old) I was given, by a freinds dad, a Superboard II to "experiment" with... He had been using it to encode / decode Morse Code, on his Ham Radio.
I was so amazed, seeing a text reply, to my typed messge: "HELLO" from a Ham radio station in Canada.
Simply marvelous!

To begin, I first had to convert an old black and white Sony portable tv to accept composite video, and recall being violently shocked, more than once, by the high voltage coil !!!

I taught myself BASIC, and thereafter, assembly, by writing a "Space Invaders" clone. This ultimately influenced my study direction, and in 1984 entered college to study electronics, on a scholarship / bursary from the South African Post Office.
I upgraded to a C1P during that time.
Unfortunately, both the Superboard and C1P were stollen in a home invasion in 1985.

My first job, after (compulsory) Military Service, was producing various printed circuit boards, for a company that made home alarm systems, using the 6502 processor! I wrote the sub-routines that decoded the 7bit radio sensor addressing for that system.

Fast forward some 38 years...
Along the way I learned 'C', writing code for the 68HC11 micro controller, used in a "Spot Welding" timer that I helped design.
I also co-designed, built and coded, a custom "Eddy Current type" engine Dynomometer, for the local Volkwagen engine developement department.

Discovered PIC processors in the early 90's ( still have my PicStart Plus programmer ! )

Then Arduino's came...
Wrote some code for the MultiWii copter (drone) on-line project.

Nostalgia is a "slippery slope", and I find myself needing to recreate the "feelings" associated with such marvelous discoveries during my youth.
50+ year old Cox model engines in control-line aircraft and 40+ year old Kawasaki motorcycles have my attention these days...

Inevitably, I suppose, few weeks ago I began searching for a C1P, which led me here.
I found the various emulators on-line, but using them just does not bring back the same "feelings"... I need MORE!

Hopefully, a C1P will, somehow, find its way to me!

Howard
dave
Site Admin

Re: New member - Old C1P user

Post by dave »

Hi Howard, welcome!

It might be fun to build one of Grant's (Klyball's) 600D boards. Several here have done so, and a few are doing it now and sharing their progress. The population of Klyball 600D builders and kibitzers/coaches is a nice, congenial club.

Dave
HOWARDHB

Post by HOWARDHB »

Hi Dave!

I have been thinking about doing just that: my Ebay shipping cart is already loaded with 2716's, a 6850, 6502, 6821... but need a comprehensive partslist for Grants repro board.
Is a "kit" of parts available or is Ebay the right way to get my hands the bits... (pun intended!)

H.
jbtech

Post by jbtech »

Hi,

There is a very good set of assembly instructions with component lists for the OSI 600 Rev. D PCB which can be found here:

https://osiweb.org/manuals/Superboard_I ... ctions.pdf

One correction to the component values - U29 is listed as a 7492 but should be 7493 as correctly shown in the circuit diagram.

There is also a clearer image of the circuit diagram here:

http://osi.marks-lab.com/boards/schematics/OSI600.pdf

Some of the components are still available from regular suppliers such as Mouser but many are obsolete and eBay a possible option.

Also, many of the logic ICs were original 7400 series parts which can be difficult to source, personally I chose to use 74LS series components throughout with good results though others report some issues when substituting 74LS types for original 7400 series.

It's a great project and a good alternative when an original OSI board can't be found, especially in regions where there weren't many to begin with.

Best of luck with it, regards John.
More from John's Retro Workshop http://www.jbtech.linkpc.net
HOWARDHB

Post by HOWARDHB »

Thank-you John, most appreciated...
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

I've just built a Klyball 600D and it has been a fun/frustrating project, though I got there in the end :)

I now have a 610 expander to build too :)

I fell foul of the U29 issue as I followed the BoM, but elsewhere it is shown correctly as an LS93.

Like John I used a mix of 7400 & 74LS parts, though in some cases, I found that LS variants caused issues. I had a 74LS04 at U21, and a weird flicker on the display. Changing to a 7404 resolved the issue, so I suspect that variations in timing etc can cause trip ups.

I also had to change U70 for a 7400 series rather than an LS as I was having some display instabilities.

Running well now though and once I can get the cassette input working (My CA3130 is either dead or a fake) it'll be finished in terms of build.

I need to start getting the 610 parts together, that's going to be a fun build I'm sure!
HOWARDHB

Post by HOWARDHB »

Kudos on your "perseverence" !

I have been searching for parts on Ebay, and when I find them, I add them to my shopping cart...
Question: The CA3130's that I found are from INTERSIL - CA3130E. Will they work?

H.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

HOWARDHB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:18 pm Kudos on your "perseverence" !

I have been searching for parts on Ebay, and when I find them, I add them to my shopping cart...
Question: The CA3130's that I found are from INTERSIL - CA3130E. Will they work?

H.
Thanks!

The one I have that isn't working has an underscored 'i' logo as well as the chip number, so it could be Intersil, but looking at it closely under magnification I think it's a fake.

I think the ones you mention should be fine, but I've ordered some more from a trusted supplier and the new ones are RCA/Harris and do look rather more like the genuine item.